Saturday, January 31, 2009

Which is More Terrifying

Teenagers or Horror Movies

Last night a friend and I went to see a movie. We were too late to see all the ones we were really interested in, so we settled for a horror movie The Uninvited.
If you know me you know that at more then one point in this movie I screamed, watched the movie through my fingers and grabbed onto my friends hand. Luckily she did the same. We went to the 8pm showing of the show which is the teenage witching hour. We were overwhelmed by the 12-15 year old crowd. We were the old ladies that didn't want to be up past midnight. As we stood in line we observed the obvious differences and sad similarities between the way teenagers are now and what kind of teenagers we were a life time ago. I know I have said this a thousand times but I wouldn't go back to that age for all the ice cream at Ben and Jerry's. It was a horrible awkward time full of angst and self loathing. I prefer to be approaching 30 full of happiness and self love. We observed the same lack of self identity in these teenagers eyes. We also couldn't help but critique their clothes. Back in the day we rocked baggy boys jeans, baggy t-shirts, flannel shirts and clunky boots. Not only did we look cool (in our minds) we had the comfort of practically wearing jamies. Such is not the case anymore. The look is form fitting layered shirts and skinny jeans. This curvy girl would have requested to be home schooled and locked in a cave if the styles for teenagers now had been my only option. Another thing about teenagers that was brought to our attention last night was that they are mean. More mean then 2 cynical opinionated women in their mid - late twenty's. We walked into the IMAX theater and decided to sit in the top corner. As we sat down a girl screamed on the other side of the theater. My friend said "Hey shut up". I thought she was saying it to the girl on the other side of the theater. The kid in front of us looked at us and I said no not you. My fearless friend said "Yes YOU". Then she turned to me and said he was being rude and I said how rude. She said very rude. I let it drop when people won't tell me details it usually means they are protecting me. For a moment I felt like an insecure teenager again. This experience was a good reminder of how much I appreciate getting older. It also showed me that there is nothing more terrifying then a teenager (not even the undead crawling and clawing their way to your bed).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you have a great talent of writing!! :D
I had a blast!!
As a parent...It blows my mind that parents allow their children to go out of the house dressed the way they do and also forget to reminding them and POUND into them the importantance of manners!!!
Cant wait till the next movie....next one we will not go during babysitting hour!! LOL

Nat said...

Ah, yes. I was Josie Grossie as a teenager. I would NOT want to go back. And I can't believe you went to a scary movie!

Allie said...

I was a lot nicer when I was a teenager I think, I hid a lot of crap and a lot of my anger issues, not that I have anger issues now, just minor ones, but I probably would have kicked the back of the seat... HARD... rather than said anything out loud.:D although I am very vocal. I am with Samantha, it blows my mind that parents wonder why their teenagers are the way they are, well I mean I was a horrible teenager and I had super parents, but sadly a lot of parents are too engrossed in themselves these days, like me sitting here catching up on blogs while I have no idea what my kidlet is doing, from the looks of his face he found chocolate on the floor and a pen, I should probably go intervine but I have like 4 more blogs to read... sigh:D

MisterE said...

Kids are stupid as we both know. This is why I like early movies since most of them are still asleep. Plus you can hit up an early bird dinner after. Yes, I am ready for my retirement home years.

Becky said...

My favorite MisterE LOL. You know that I am right there with and there is nothing like the senior citizen discount to be used for supper @ 3pm at Chuck-a-rama then home and tucked in bed by 530pm.